Thursday, December 2, 2010

SWEETS

                                           M&M's

The candy shells, each of which has the letter "m" printed in lower case on one side, surround a variety of fillings, including:
  • milk chocolate
  • dark chocolate
  •  crisped rice
  •  mint chocolate
  • peanuts
  • almonds
  • orange chocolate
  • coconut
  •  pretzel
  •  wild cherry
  •  peanut butter
 M&M's originated in the United States in 1941 as a cheaper alternative to Smarties, and are now sold in over 100 countries. They are produced in different colors, some of which have changed over the years. The difference between the different colored M&Ms is the dye added to the outer coating.

Ever since the 1990's the Blue M&M campaign, M&M's introduced computer animated "spokescandies" in their television commercials.
  • The cynical and sardonic "Red" (originally voiced by Jon Lovitz, thereafter Billy West), who is the mascot for milk chocolate M&M's
  • The happy and gullible "Yellow" (originally John Goodman, thereafter J.K. Simmons), who is the mascot for peanut M&M's.
  • The "cool one", Blue (originally Phil Hartman, thereafter Robb Pruitt) for almond
  •  The seductive Green (Cree Summer) for peanut butter, mint, and dark chocolate (Green is the only female M&M's mascot)
  • The slightly neurotic Orange (Eric Kirchberger) for other types of M&M's in general, who was initially not named after his color (for a time when he was introduced, he was known as Crispy due to his being a mascot for the Crispy M&M's, which debuted around the same time.)
  • Although brown M&Ms have been around since the beginning of the candy, no brown M&M "spokescandy" was included.

7 comments:

  1. I find it interesting how M&M was created by two mayor league baseball players. That and how they are defined now days as pop culture and can be found all over the world. You can even say it was a Chocolate Revolution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not relize how many flavor such as coconut and wild cherry. But I love their new pretzel ones! I always knew that they tasted like canadian smarties but I did not know that they were an alternative to them. I think smarties taste better though. (: I like how you added the different spokescandies. I wonder why they have never had a brown spokescandy, it would be interesting to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how there are "Spokescandies" for M&Ms. It brings character to you candy! Haha! I was surprised to see all the different flavors. I think I'll pass on the orange chocolate and coconut ones. I think it's cool that they let you write on M&Ms now too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love m&m and I knew they had dark chocolate but I was very surprised to see how many flavors they offered. I had no idea about the mint chocolate; I’m going to have to find them. Awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. M&Ms are one of my favorite candies. I love that there are so many different kinds and colors. Though some of the fillings I haven't heard of I would still love to try them. I would definitely try the mint chocolate and wild cherry ones. They are two of my favorite flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love M&M's! I never know that they have been around for so long though. I thought they were made in the 60's. It is intersting learning about something that you love to eat. I also never really thought about the colors so much. I did not pay attention that each one was like a mascot for a different kind of M&M but now that I think of it it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew there were so many flavors of M&M’s. Peanut M&M’s are my favorite. I didn’t think that they started so long ago either. I like watching the commercials with the spokescandies.

    ReplyDelete