Thursday, October 21, 2010

Asia

Sushi- I don't even know where to start, sushi is my favorite food, I would eat it every day for the rest of my life! The mixture of all kinds of sead food inside a roll of rice and seaweed. On the weekends I enjoy making sushi for lunch or dinner. There are many types of sushi, starting with the simple crab and avocato, and for some sushi addicts there are some spicy shrimp ones.
  • California Rolls.
  • Recipe:
  1. for sushi rice
    4 Cup cold water
     
    3 1/3 Cup Japanese short grained rice
  2. for vinegar mixture
    1/3 Cup rice vinegar
    5 Tbs sugar
    2 Tbs + 1 tsp kosher salt (half if you use regular salt)
  3. for roll
    1 package of good quality unseasoned sheet nori
    1 avocado cut into strips and sprinkled with lemon juice
    1/4 lbs. lump crab meat
    tobiko (flying fish roe) or toasted sesame seeds
  4. equipment
    a fan + helper OR an electric fan
    hangiri (very wide flat bowl)
    shamoji (rice paddle)
    makisu (bamboo sushi mat)
    plastic wrap

1 comment:

  1. I've got mixed feelings about sushi. I like the kind with just veggies or shrimp tempura, but other than that I just can't wrap my head around how someone can enjoy raw fish. Just last week, I was feeling open-minded so I agreed to share a HUGE platter of sushi with my mom, brother, and his wife. I popped a big piece in my mouth, began to chew, and then my brother said "Oh, Carly... Actually, I think that has some raw eel in it too." My eyes grew wide in shock as I slowly chewed what I had thought was cooked shrimp.

    ReplyDelete